CAASL orders probe into security lapse

The Civil Aviation Authority of Sri Lanka (CAASL) has ordered the Airport and Aviation Services Limited (AASL)   to investigate and report as to why the Airport security officials had returned fifty, 9 mm live ammunition found from a passenger’s luggage back to the passenger. CAA Chief Executive Officer P.A. Jayakantha in a letter to the company has ordered them to conduct an investigation into this incident and send him a report immediately.

A 44-year-old businessman from Beruwala had arrived at the BIA to leave for Singapore by Singapore Airlines flight SK-469 on January 29. During the scanning inspection carried out by the airport security officers, 50 9mm pistol firearm live bullets was found in the bag during the scanning.

The businessman had informed airport security officers that he had a licenced firearm. But a Defence Ministry spokesman had said that only 10 live bullets can be kept for such a firearm licence. After that, the security personnel of the airport, who have released this stock of live ammunition to the passenger in question, have allowed the passenger to travel to Singapore. However the passenger has handed over this stock of live ammunition to his driver to take back home. Police spokesman SSP Nihal Thalduwa said the Katunayaka police has not been informed of this this incident. However the US passenger who had 10 live bullets of a 9mm firearm was referred to the police by the airport security officials. Police arrested the suspect and produced him before the Negombo Magistrate’s Court.

The US citizen had submitted the permit issued to him by the US government to own the firearm online to Katunayake Airport Police officers.

In addition, when a Russian couple with their son arrived at Katunayake airport to board a Russian Aeroflot flight SU-789 to go to Moscow, Russia, two toy pistols were discovered during a scanning check carried out by the airport security officers and they were handed over to the Katunayake Airport Police and steps were taken to refer them to the Negombo Magistrate’s Court.

These two toy pistols were sent to the Colombo Police Field Force Headquarters and steps were taken to conduct another investigation into them.


by Daily News Sri Lanka

, Local, ,

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post