Breaking News

Permits to be cancelled of buses making ad-hoc stops

The National Transport Commission (NTC) has been directed to cancel the permits of Inter-Provincial Service Buses which stop over at every turn to enable passengers to embark and disembark without restricting them to authorised bus halts only.

This will take effect from July 1, Transport and Civil Aviation Minister Nimal Siripala de Silva said.

This decision had been taken in deference to public complaints received by the commission and to prevent the inconvenience caused to commuters themselves, he said.

Minister de Silva said he had also directed commission Chairman M. A. P. Hemachandra to deploy teams of its own inspectors to inspect inter-provincial service buses to observe those making stop overs at unauthorised places to pick up passengers or make them disembark and take steps to instal CCTV cameras in such places for constant observation.

The Minister said he had also directed the commission Chairman to desist from renewing the permits of buses involved in such unlawful practices when removals are made annually.